Monday, May 7, 2012

Home Cooking and a Dog

So, this weekend, we got a dog.  Well got a... foster dog.  She’s a beautiful Flatcoat Retreiver.  We were expecting her on Friday, but instead didn’t get her until Sunday, so for much of the weekend, we had time to cook.  


All-Natural Hommus
Before we get to stuff I’ve made, I  wanted to tell you about one of our family’s new favorite snacks, hommus.  Specifically, Cedar’s Foods Hommus.  This stuff is like crack for your tastebuds.  Don’t get it unless you want to have a spoon in one hand, and a dose of guilt somewhere handy.  You will finish it, and you will probably feel guilty about it.  It’s totally worth the guilty feeling, though, as it’s probably one of the best, if not THE best, hommus, I’ve ever had.  And I’m picky about what hommus I give good ratings to.  

Go out NOW and get some, you won’t regret it.  We bought ours at Whole Foods for $2 per package.




My Moo Rating: 4/5




“Cheese Sticks”
Daiya, in case you can’t tell, has become a go-to food in our house.  So it was with great anticipation that we made “cheese sticks” over the weekend.  It’s super easy, so I don’t even need to go through the normal recipe bit.  What’s that, Chrissy?  They need it if they want to write it down?  Oh.

Fine.

Ingredients:
2/3 package Italian-seasoned Panko bread crumbs
1 package of mozzarella-style Daiya
Spray-on Pam


You’ll need:
9”x9” glass/nonstick deep pan

Directions:
Spray the bottom of your pan with Pam (unless using nonstick).  Sprinkle 1/2 of your Panko into the bottom of the pan.  Take your Daiya and completely cover the bottom layer of panko.  Be careful with this step.  Too much Daiya is not a great thing.  Sprinkle the other 1/2 of your Panko on top of the Daiya.  Spray generously with Pam on top and bake at 325° until fully melted and golden brown on top or about 18 minutes.  Cut into strips and serve.

My Moo Rating: 4/5




Corn Doggin’ It
So the other day, while throwing myself the tiniest pity party you’ve ever seen, I said that I was really craving Corn Dog 7.  So what does my wife do?  She goes and makes me homemade corn dogs that totally took care of my craving for Corn Dog 7.  They were very good, but I think that the batter bakes up a little to flake-y for me.  We’ll need to work on that, though the flavor is awesome.  Once we get this perfected, I’ll give an updated version of the recipe.  Then, I’m going to figure out how to make Corn Dog 7’s cheese on a stick.

Ingredients
2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix
6” skewers (disposable chopsticks are great to use here)
kosher no-dairy all-beef hot dogs
Oil of your choice
flour

Directions:
Prepare the 2 boxes of jiffy as stated but only include 1/2 of the liquid it calls for.  Your coating should be like a very thick pancake batter.  Skewer your hot dogs and coat them lightly in the flour (you can also use corn starch) so that the batter will stick.  Heat your oil over medium-high heat, so that when you drop a small amount of batter on it, it cooks almost instantly.   Take your dipped dog and put it in the frying oil, turning almost constantly to make sure it cooks evenly on all sides.  Cook until golden brown and crispy on the outside.

My Moo Rating: 3/5



Homemade Vegan K-so
I also made the discovery that Daiya’s website has recipes on it.  My youngest son, Benton, had said that he really missed queso, so we made some from a recipe that we found on that site and, to my amazement, it was totally believable.  Benton took to it like a fat kid to Girl Scout Cookies and we had a hit.  I won’t be posting the recipe here, as I don’t want to simply steal from someone else, but we will be taking this recipe and improving upon it to get something with a bolder flavor that what is currently in this one.


My Moo Rating: 3.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment