Friday, April 13, 2012

(UPDATED) I'm Feeling Cheesy: A Review

So, we've been at this no-dairy thing for just over a week and, it's "special."  Some days, it's really easy, other days, not so much.  But through it all, we've been searching for alternatives to foods that our family LOVES.  Out and out loves.  And one of the foods that we have had a long standing love affair with is cheese.

Needless to say, when we found out there was to be no more cheese in the Ervin household, the breakup was hard.  We sat on the couch with all of our cheese friends, laughed about the memories, cried--I think someone even broke a glass at some point.  There was some yelling, and then we just screamed at the cheese, "get out!  Just get OUT!"  Very sad.  Tragic really.  There's a Lifetime special coming out about it, I think.

Moving on
We've bought several kinds of "cheese" this week, one made of rice, one made of soy and a new-to-market brand, Daiya.  So... on with the show.

Rice Cheese
First, we'll cover the rice cheese.  Shaped like American cheese, tastes like American cheese gone bad.  Is that an accurate enough description?  To say that this is my least favorite cheese of all of the new kinds is an understatement.  It doesn't feel right in your mouth.  It's got this... I don't know, grainy consistency that doesn't show up until halfway through eating the bite.  The initial flavor is okay, but then you get that rice-y flavor toward that same spot... halfway through, and you just KNOW that something isn't right.  Your brain tells you it looks like cheese, it sort of tastes a little like cheese right at the beginning, but then it's all downhill from there.

My Moo Rating: 1/5





Daiya
We knew that rice-based wasn't a good fit, so we tried another cheese, this time by a new company called Daiya.  This one is a cheese style shred, with ingredients that you can actually, mostly, pronounce.  Here's the list:

Filtered water, tapioca and /or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegan natural flavors, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), annatto, titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).
GMO=Genetically Modified Organism

Looking at it, it is shaped mostly like a normal shredded cheese you would find in any supermarket, but it's edges are wrong.  Instead of being smooth, they almost have this torn look to them, but it's not a turn-off, and the color is almost exactly right.  Let's give it a taste... 

Mmmm, it's really good.  Give me another bite, honey.  What do you think?  Oh, Chrissy agrees, this is a very good cheese substitute.  

That was two days ago.  Today, I actually melted some on some bread, as I was dying for a cheese fix.  And it totally does the job.  It's soft, like American cheese, and the flavor is subtly different than what you would get in a standard milk-based cheese, but this, this I could get used to.  I understand that a company called ZPizza actually offers a gluten and dairy-free pizza that is made with Daiya.  After trying it, I understand why.  This, of the three cheeses, actually made me really excited to eat it again.

My Moo Rating: 4/5






Soy-Based Veggie Slices
The third cheese (conspicuously absent from the picture above) is by the same company as the rice-based cheese, but has a soy base instead.  It, too, is an American-style individually wrapped slice, but this one doesn't test my gag reflex.  When you eat it, it's a little too soft for your brain to say that it's American cheese, but it's so close that after the first few bites you don't notice the difference anymore.  The flavor is good, though, so we will probably buy it again.

UPDATE: While the flavor may have been nice, I found out that soy-based slices have casein, a milk protein in them, which removes any possibility of us eating them again.  I’ve amended my moo rating below to reflect that.

My Moo Rating: 1/5




Coconut Milk Chocolate Mousse
I told you I was going to do a review of the chocolate mousse today, but that's going to have to wait, as I don't think it came out the way it should have and I'd hate to do a review of a recipe that just didn't work.  I will say this, though... the flavor is FANTASTIC.  The subtlety of the coconut behind the cocoa in the recipe is ridiculous.  As the initial creator of the recipe said, I want to dive into this head first.  I'll keep plugging away and hopefully we'll get it right here, shortly.

Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment